History of Yanchep and Two Rocks
Little is known about Yanchep prior to the early 1800’s. It is known that an Aboriginal Tribe known as the Witjari used to hunt game in the area as they made their way along the coast line and lines of lakes including the lake at Yanchep. Back then they called the lake “Manbeebee” but it is now know as Lake Wagardu.
The earliest records of a visit to the area was made by Lieutenant George Gray in 1838. An excerpt from his diary states:
“had a beauty about it, which would have made anyone possessed with the least enthusiasm fall in love with bush life”.
Two Rocks is an outer suburb at the northern edge of Perth, the state capital of Western Australia, located 61km north of the city’s central business district. It is part of the City of Wanneroo local authority and represents the furthest northern extent of the Perth Metropolitan Area.
The suburb contains a marina development and was, from 1981 until 1990, the home of Atlantis Marine Park and the hub of the Yanchep Sun City development.
Two Rocks is a beachside suburb named after two prominent rocks offshore from Wreck point, it was approved as a suburb back in 1975. Two Rocks achieved prominence when a yachting marina was constructed here, and streets in the suburb are named after yachts from America’s Cup challenges.
From 1981 until 1990, Two Rocks was the home of Atlantis Marine Park and the hub of the Yanchep Sun City development.
Atlantis Marine Park
Article about Atlantis by a local at escobar.id.au: “A look at Atlantis Marine Park”
Two Rocks Marina
Entry from WA State Heritage website regarding the Two Rocks Marina Precinct